Tracey’s Place of Hope is a residential program for adolescent girls who have dealt with mental health or substance abuse problems. The center helps turn tragedy into daily miracles by preparing young people to manage their recovery, their mental and emotional health issues, as well as teaching teens the necessary skills to live independently. Most of our teens come to us with little or no vision for their future, but flourish when given the opportunity.
Mallory is one of our residents at Tracey’s Place of Hope. We sat down with her to talk about her experience in the program so far:
What is your favorite part about Tracey’s Place of Hope?
- Even though I made mistakes in my past, everyone with Koinonia Homes for Teens and Tracey’s Place of Hope has been forgiving and helped me. I am very thankful for that.
Describe Tracey’s Place of Hope in one word:
Do you have any memorable experiences with Fred and/or Angela Biletnikoff?
- I met Fred at the grand opening of Tracey’s Place of Hope, which was a really cool experience. Angela comes by the house often, and I remember one time she sat down with all of the girls in the house to talk about Tracey’s past and let us talk about our past experiences. It helped me to see that there are reasons that rules are set in place at Tracey’s Place of Hope and they are meant to help us, not control us.
How has Tracey’s Place of Hope helped you in terms of self-development?
- Tracey’s story is so powerful and has taught me a lot. Her experiences made me realize that I can get through tough times in life and has inspired me to be more insightful.
Are there any special events that you have participated in at Tracey’s Place of Hope?
- I got to lead tours of Tracey’s Place of Hope at the Grand Opening, which was fun because I got to talk to people. I also got to go to the Youth Empowerment Summit where I learned about women who worked for the Raiders and their stories of failure and success.
What is your favorite hobby?
- I love to cook! I make meals for the girls in the house and really enjoy being in the kitchen. My favorite type of foods to cook are Italian, French, Australian… really anything that is not from the US!
What is your dream job?
- I would like to be a chef one day because I love cooking.
When are you graduating from high school?
- June of 2018
What goals do you have for the next year?
- I would like to graduate high school, get a job and enroll in college. One day I want to find love, but until then, I am working on figuring out who I am.
Who is your biggest role model?
- The staff at Koinonia Homes for Teens and Tracey’s place of Hope have not only become my friends, but also have become some of my biggest role models. I really look up to them.
If you could have dinner with anyone in the world (living or dead) who would it be?
What is your favorite book/TV show?
- I love Nicholas Sparks’ books and my favorite movie is Alice in Wonderland. I really like Alice because she is open and adventurous.